Willpower.

I am going to try my hardest not to make this a cliche blog by starting it off with "so" Anyway, one of my favorite past times using Stumbleupon.  Today, I found an article about Willpower and writing.  I thought i'd write something about  about what I read.  So here it goes.

The author mentions turning writing into a habit. This I feel is a FANTASTIC  idea. He suggests that writing once or twice or even three days a week requires more willpower than writing everyday. He says that writing everyday is more habit forming. 

He also suggests that tricking your subconscious into writing. Make it fun by asking yourself questions like "How much fun can I have writing my novel today?" I find this to be true. Because when I am writing my novel. I start asking myself questions. Talking to myself like a weirdo. No one is around so its not really that weird, unless my neighbors hear me then maybe they think I am nuts. But screw them.  Anyway,  he says "Your subconscious will start to solve the problem for you, allowing you to get more work done and have more fun doing it. Try it. It actually works." Honestly, try it.

Bunting explains about another trick. Her suggests using a timer to help  "Many writers, like Donald Miller and Chuck Palahniuk, use egg timers to keep them focused while they write. It’s something of a judo mind-trick. If you’re tired after a long day, the prospect of writing for an unspecified period of time can be overwhelming. Instead, you can trick your willpower by telling it you’re only going to go write for fifteen short minutes." I have yet to try this trick but for me. I just write till I think I'm done. But maybe I'll try it just for fun. 

Another thing he mentions is trying to make a plan. The author says
"Another judo mind-trick you can use is to make a plan. The will hates the unknown. So the prospect of writing about whatever you feel like can be intimidating." He says not to write about whatever you feel like but rather write out what your going to write, such as a character sketch

One thing I know about myself is that writing is my passion. This another thing that Bunting suggests in his article is to make writing a passion.  He says "A better way to think about passion, I think, is to think of it as your focus. If you are completely focused on your novel, if your novel is what you do and who you are, if your novel is your single-minded pursuit (to the detriment of all others), a little procrastination won’t hurt you. You’ll always be thinking about your novel, whether you are watching TV or playing tennis or reading a book." Which i think is a great way at looking at things.

I realize that this blog is getting longer by the minute so I think I'll let you read the rest of the article right here.


The rest of the site is pretty awesome too for those who are writers.

 So, till next time 

Peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment